Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I'm Not A Plastic Bag

The "I'm Not A Plastic Bag" bag is pissing me off. My sister recently told me about these, and it's insane. Here's the deal. It's a reuseable bag that can be used for shopping, the beach, school, etc. And the big deal is: it's not a plastic bag. It's "Green", "Environmentally Friendly", etc. Fine. That's fine. I am all for environmentally friendly or vegan friendly products. What pisses me off is that now that celebs have shown an interest in it, the price is over the top. Yeah, well, I saw that for pre-order (if they are ever back in stock) they are listed at $58.00. For what equates to a canvas bag. On ebay, I've seen them go for upwards of $200.00. Seriously.

At Target you can get a reuseable canvas bag for $10 or $15 that is pretty stylish. At the Dollar Tree: $1.00, if it's just that you are environmentally concerned and you don't care about fashion. Because this is not fashion.






Does it matter that people are only buying organic or environmentally friendly or vegan products just because it's "in style"? Should it? Probably not. I should probably think that it's great that people are buying these things regardless of their reasoning. They are helping the planet, after all.

But over-paying for anything is just a waste. Why not buy the $10 bag and spend the other $190 on a charity, or, I don't know...something more meaningful!

Getting a canvas bag that says to everyone "Look at me! Look at me! I'm so green! I'm so popular!" freaks me out. It's like lying, because you know these fake fucks do not care about the planet. They just want the latest and greatest, the biggest and best, and they want to be noticed.

If anything, I'd opt for this version. It says so much more.


No comments: