Monday, January 21, 2008

Baby's Heartbeat

Today's doctor appointment was great, but a total pain in the ass. Yes, it was worth it. Today, overall, was unproductive. I got up and went to work, got in around 8:45am. Worked for 45 minutes and then left to go to the doctor's. I should have just slept in.
My appointment was scheduled for 10am - I didn't get seen until 11:30. I guess sitting there reading magazines was better than being at work, but that was a looooong wait. My doctor comes in, whips out the Doppler, and begins searching for the baby's heartbeat. She struggled a bit trying to find it - so for a minute, I worried that it wasn't going to be there at all...and then...there it was. That wonderful fast-paced beating - nothing else sounds like that.
The beating was fast, but not as fast I as remember with my two daughters and then the doctor says the magic number: 130's - The baby's heartbeat is in the 130's. So, I rush back to the office and Google gender prediction and heart rate. Here's what I find out:

"One belief that has been around for some time, and even had some acceptance in the medical community at one point, is that the fetal heartbeat differs for boys and girls. If you're having a girl, then the fetal heart rate will be above 140. A boy will have a heart rate below 140."

Sweet! As we keep our fingers crossed for a boy, every little bit of hope helps!

No comments: